Thursday, January 3, 2013

Suitcase Shelves

These shelves are on their third display already, and I can't believe I haven't posted about them yet!  After I was so excited about my antique suitcase find last summer (for which I have purchased antique table legs), my friend Rose brought several suitcases from her dad's house! 
This cream colored one was my favorite of the bunch.  It had an angled top, so it wouldn't work for a table, but I KNEW it had potential.  It even still had a piece of an old paper luggage tag attached to it, really cute tan houndstooth lining, and those two neat straps to clip things to. 
Then it hit me--I could turn it into shelves! 
I couldn't get it to come apart, so I had David grind off the hinges for me. I'm not afraid to admit what is a man's job. :) 
Then, I simply nailed the two halves to the wall and filled it with stuff.
Easy as that!
The fall display really was my favorite, but I was a little bit busy last fall and failed to get a picture.  Forgive me. :)  On that one, I used mini clothespins from an office supply aisle to clip leaves to the straps.
 
 I love "junk" decorating which turns old unused things into something new and different!  I'm happy to give this suitcase new life in our home. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment