Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pages Turning

I'm liking this year so far.
A lot.
I can feel fun changes coming.

Last year was a year of annoying little not-so-fun changes.  First my favorite coffee shop friend Darcie sold her business left for the Hills with her family (I still can't believe she left me!), then our doctor that we loved and trusted for 11 years decided to leave for Sioux Falls (right after diagnosing Rachel), and then my hairdresser moved . . . but just down the block. 
If Stacy had left town, too, well that may have been the proverbial LAST straw.

But, this year feels different.  I felt it when I was shopping--by myself--last week.  I somehow dodged being nominated for What's Not to Wear these past 9 years and my goal is to make sure it doesn't happen!  I wouldn't be nominated for outdated, inappropriate, or outlandish attire (I don't think).  But, I did see one episode full of boring polo shirts and plain sweaters.  I saw myself and it scared me.  Yep.  Time to spice up the wardrobe a bit.  No longer do I have to plan ahead for baby spit up.  (Although Rachel never was a spitter, bless her perfect little baby heart.) 

Today I also learned about my new job assignment for Dakotafire and I am excited to get started on that tomorrow.  It will still be very part time, but more consistent every week.  I find it ironic how I've always loved reading small town newspapers.  I still subscribe to my hometown paper and I'm always one to sit down and read someone's local paper if it's lying around.  Even if I don't know a person in it, I always like to read the names, see who was nominated for the Homecoming court, who is celebrating an anniversary, who found themselves at the wrong end of a speeding ticket. . . . It's kind of weird, I know, but guess what??  Now my job is to take stories from several local papers, copy edit them, and post them to the web site.  Funny how little quirks turn into jobs sometimes. :)

I feel like I'm not JUST surviving anymore and it feels GREAT.  I'm enjoying it while it lasts.


Now. . . . after I get my work done tomorrow, who's up for a day of shopping and a cup of coffee?  I've reverted back to my college days and have become a Red Rooster customer again.  I love their artsy, eclectic vibe.  And they still do make the best cup of hot chocolate in Aberdeen!

No comments:

Post a Comment