Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Taco Meat Loaf

I am terrible at meal planning--and coupons, too--but that is another post. 
I just can't plan a week, or six hours, ahead of time what I am going to want to eat for supper.  Just ask my kids.  They will still ask me at breakfast time what we are going to have for supper, as if I had become a meal planner since the previous inquiry.  Unless I have something going in the crock pot to cook all day, my answer is, "I don't know yet!"  I just can't live under that kind of structure. I don't want to be hungry for tacos, only to have salmon on that day's menu.   Thankfully, being at home and having a freezer that always full of beef, and now pork, chicken, and seafood options, allows this flexibility so I don't have to. 
Yesterday I was hungry for meat loaf and tacos.  Why not combine the two?  I found a recipe on cooks.com and tweaked it a bit to fit our family.

Taco Meat Loaf
2 lbs. ground beef (or ground meat of your choice, but we always have 2,000 lbs of ground beef in our freezer)
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce*
2/3 cup crushed tortilla chips
1/2 medium onion
2 pkg taco seasoning

Mix all ingredients together and put into two 8 inch pans.  (I use Pyrex pie plates for my meat loaf.)  Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.  Eat one and freeze the other for next time you are hungry for meatloaf and tacos!
I served this with corn, sour cream, and instant brown rice.  Mmmmm.

*I found Rotel tomato and green chile sauce today and I will try that the next time I make this!

No comments:

Post a Comment