Thursday, August 9, 2012

Unexpected Treasure

I've mentioned Abundantly Blessed at St. Thomas Church in Faulkton before.  After 7 years, it is still going as strong as ever.  Thanks to many ladies who have taken it from our small Bible study group and turned it into their own project, the community and surrounding area are still benefiting from sharing their abundance of blessings with each other. 
I had a little bag of odds and ends to drop off this morning--a shelf I no longer wanted, some too-small swim trunks, the remainder of a scrapbook kit I won't use, and a few greeting cards that aren't my style.  Today was the first day of the three-day event to drop things off, so when I pulled up to the church at 10am, I was surprised to see so many cars already in the parking lot and people rummaging through several garbage bags of stuff that had been left on the wheelchair ramp outside. 
Although I love a good thrift store, I am not much of a rummager (even when it's all free), so my intention was to drop off my few things and then hit my favorite hangout in town--the grocery store.  (Well, maybe it's not my FAVORITE hangout, but it's the place in Faulkton that gets the most of my money!)
Just as I was walking into the back door of the church, I saw it--an unexpected treasure!  Among other things, a man unloaded this suitcase from his pickup.  When I came back up the stairs a few minutes later, he was just entering the church with his things. 
Not believing this good fortune, I asked him, "Are you leaving that here?" 
"Yes," he answered. 
"Is it just a suitcase?" I asked. 
(I was making sure it wasn't a case for a trumpet or an accordion or something similar--now THAT would NOT be a fun sound to add to our home!) 
"Yes," he answered again. 
"Then I'll take it!" and I whisked it out the door.  
He was just happy I saved him from carrying it down the stairs and probably thought this mom with a van full of kids waiting for her was maybe just a bit crazy.  (My kids thought I was.)
In the world of antiques, I find myself not so much drawn to pretty decorations, but to things that were actually USED at one time and show everyday life--the stools I have on my deck, the wash stand, the pop bottles and wooden crate, and although I had not yet found one, I have had a few large, flat suitcases like this in mind.  I would like to eventually stack a few and make an end table or night stand out of them.  For now, this one will find a place in our home. 
Of course, David entered the house today, saw the suitcase in the entry and immediately asked, "Is our Grandma here visiting???"  :o)
But, he's a good sport and trusts the vision I see in these treasures I find.  I looked up "vintage suitcases" on eBay tonight, and similar suitcases are selling for $30 or more.  What a deal!!

Who's up for a little antiquing??
This unexpected find has me dreaming of another treasure hunting trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment