Thursday, August 9, 2012

Be Thankful

Great things have been happening.  My friend Theresa's baby daughter Ava no longer needs her apnea monitor.  My friend Lacy just had her second baby girl.  The sun is shining.  Life is good.
But, I am also aware of those families currently living on the painful side of life.  Being on the Catholic Moms prayer group is such a blessing, but also makes me aware of the pain in this world.  Last night I commented on a prayer request that I have been praying for member's cousin who was in a motorcycle accident.  This morning I realized that the one I commented on was an entirely other person!  Two young men, named Ryan and David, in hospitals on ventilators recovering slowly, not knowing the extent of the damage on their bodies . . . a baby girl who a few weeks ago suddenly passed away in her daddy's arms, a friend's son who was recently diagnosed with autism and the uncertainty such a diagnosis brings . . . prayers, prayers, prayers. 
We do not know what the next minute will hold.
I was reflecting the other day on how I have changed as a mother in the past 8 years.  I don't want to say I ever took my children for granted, but I think I did.  I thought of them as MINE, when really they were and always have been GOD'S. 
I was always a bit sad when my babies turned a year old and started walking away from my arms.
I am different with Rachel.  Maybe it is because I was 33 when I had her.  There is much to be said for being a younger and more naive mom!  Perhaps it is because she was just 6 weeks old when Luke suddenly left us.  My prayer each day is not that she will stay little, but grow bigger and stronger each day.  Yes, she will be facing a surgery in a few months, but she is not ill.  She is developing as she should.  Just as our other children, I swear I can see the gears in her little brain turning as she maneuvers her walker around the house and deck.  She doesn't miss a detail.  She is always smiling.  She is already so much like her big brother Landen.
My first born Landen.  I never knew what it was to be willing to give my life for another person until the moment we knew we were expecting him.  He can drive me nuts with his constant verbal thoughts.  But, I hope he continues that as a teenager.  I will always know what he is thinking.
Nathan is my moody one.  I am afraid if anyone has gotten the "blue genes" it is him.  He is either having the "best day ever" or the "worst day ever."  To think there were a couple weeks if I wondered if we would ever get to meet this little boy on this earth.  On his "worst days ever," I have to remember this.  :o)
Teresa is a little firecracker . . . a lady one minute and a tomboy the next.  She is always coloring, drawing, and painting . . . doing the things I always thought my boys should be doing at that age. 
So, today I am thankful.  Thankful that these children--all of our children--are GOD'S children.

They could not be in better hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment