Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Day at the Fair

 
 
Last Sunday as the boys were having a SMASHING good time watching the Demolition Derby, the girls and I took in the rest of the fair. 
We all know I'm not much of a farm girl by nature, but once a year I get a hankering to go and admire some champion pigs, sheep, goats, and bunnies.  I was a bit leery to take the girls on my own, but they were into the whole experience, too.
 
Rachel does look a bit unsure of the goat at the baby animals barn, but she put up with her sister and me just fine . . . as long as we kept moving and had the Baby Mum Mums handy!
 
"Green Acres is the place for T!"
 
After we got our fill of farm animals (that is, looking . . . not eating), we ventured into the Expo building to see the fair vendor booths.  As soon as we turned the corner, Teresa saw the booths and said excitedly, "This is like a store!" 
The Expo building is one of the best parts of the fair.  For one, it is the busiest place and I am bound to see a handful of people I know while I am strolling through.  These are mostly people I only see about once a year--and usually at the fair!
The booths are an added attraction, although I hardly ever part with any money there. 
(Except for the first year we were married, I spent A LOT of money on cookware, but I still love it to this day and it hardly looks used after 11 years!) 
My general rule is to keep moving and don't make too much eye contact.  If the latest and greatest gadget is THAT great, I probably would have seen it already or it will pop up again somewhere besides the Brown County Fair. 
 
So, even I was surprised when I came upon a watermelon perched on this contraption, immediately steered my stroller over to the Melon Mate booth, and asked the lady behind the counter,
"What's going on here?" 
Long story short, the price was very reasonable, these are made in Sioux Falls, SD, I was looking for a less messier way to cut watermelon, and I invested in my own Melon Mate.  Five of the six of us here on the farm LOVE watermelon, so I am always cutting one (or putting off cutting one because I don't want to deal with the mess at the time).  I also tried it with muskmelon and that worked especially well since I could pour the seeds into the bowl while I cut up the rest. 
Overall, I'd say this was a good investment. 
To get your own and support a South Dakota made product, go to www.melonmate.com
 
 


I know that sounds like a site that could be for . . . something else . . . but, I checked it out.
 It's all good and only about watermelon. :o)

1 comment: