Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham

Mmm . . . I love scalloped potatoes and ham. It's just a great comfort food on a cold day.
Since moving south (a whole 40 or so miles) from my hometown, I have also found this to be a traditional meal served at funerals in the area. That was new to me.
We primarily have ham sandwiches, salads, and German desserts where I come from. Occasionally, a ground ham spread will make an appearance, but not often. My dad's friend Charlie told my dad one time that if they served ground ham sandwiches at my dad's funeral, he would not be coming. I am sure "no ground ham" is written down somewhere. If it isn't, it should be lest we forget and Charlie ends up missing a good funeral meal!

I really had no intention of blogging about funerals when I started this post! So . . . anyway . . .

I have my brother-in-law Jason's family to thank for this easy and yummy version of scalloped potatoes and ham. There's no potato peeling or funeral meal required to enjoy this dish.
This recipe also allows for some creativity. I have substituted soups and used shredded cheddar cheese (with a little milk) in place of the cheddar cheese soup. It turns out great every time.
Easy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
4 cups ham
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 32 oz. bag frozen hash browns, at least partially thawed
1 8 oz. tub sour cream

Mix all ingredients together and bake covered for 1 1/2 hours at 350.
And that's what's for supper tonight!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that does sound like good comfort food. I have a similar recipe that a lady from church gave me. Our church in Indiana did those sorts of meals. Here in Denver they do the sandwich thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the ground ham sandwiches - my husband calls it "funeral meat" and has told me repeatedly that I must spend some of the life insurance money on real meat for his funeral dinner! - Beth :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I will have to tell Donna her recipe is now worldwide! I too love this quick recipe and great for all the cold days! Angela

    ReplyDelete