Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Swimming

Swimming lessons have become my part-time job these past two weeks. No--not giving lessons--just driving to and from lessons. :o) It doesn't pay well, but I have to say I am getting a pretty nice tan.
I am always amazed at how far kids come from the first swimming lesson to the eighth. For most of last week, Landen would not put his face under water. In typical Landen fashion, he spent most of his time negotiating with the lifeguard and suggesting better things they could do with their time. Today he was bobbing his head in and out of the water every time I turned around. He has his test tomorrow to see if he passes to Level 2. Even if the lifeguard feels he should repeat Level 1, I am so very proud of how far he has come.
Nathan and Teresa have been taking Preschool lessons. Nathan loves it and dunks his head in the water all of the time, too. He's not comfortable going into deeper water yet, but he is king of 3 feet and under.
Since Teresa followed her brothers around the pool like a little duck last year, I signed her up this year. She is doing quite well for being just 2 1/2 and mastered getting into the pool safely (while holding onto the side like a monkey) by the first lesson. That alone was worth the cost of lessons.
Lessons have been made even more fun by having good friends alongside us everyday. Neither Deb nor I knew that our kids would be in the same session, so it was a happy surprise on the first day. It has been wonderful visiting with Deb and watching our kids play together.
I hope we can still meet once a week or so at the pool for the rest of the summer. I would hate to lose this tan after all this work!

No comments:

Post a Comment