Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Steak Mistake

As a rule, I am not a big fan of steak. I know, I know, we cattle ranchers are supposed to love a big hunk of beef on our plates, but I would take a cheeseburger over a steak any day of the week. That's still beef, so David has agreed to keep me on as head cook.
Since the head cook has her preferences, we are not surprisingly running a bit low on the hamburger side of the freezer and still have plenty of STEAK waiting for us on the other side.
The first problem I have with steak is that I think it takes so long to chew and eat it. I know that makes me sound REALLY lazy, but sometimes just the thought of steak will make my jaw ache. Then, there's the fact that the one grilling the steak has to adopt it as an additional child during the cooking time. Turn your back for too long and it's, "Hot dogs again!"
I found a recipe for a steak marinade a few days ago. For some reason, I thought it was something I should try. Tonight was the night. I marinaded my t-bones all afternoon and put them on the grill at 6:20. I grilled them for 7 minutes, flipped them and grilled another 8. I pulled them off a little on the pink side not wanting to cross that too-done line. By the time we let them rest a few minutes, they were PERFECT. The marinade wasn't the best, but the steak itself was awesome--tender, juicy, and just the right amount of "done." Even Nathan, my toughest critic, said the steak was, "Delicious!"
You think this is a happy story, don't you? Ooohh, no. You see, I have gone for nine years telling David I didn't want to or didn't know how to grill steak. Tonight I just made steak that rivaled his best efforts.
Guess who gets to stand by the grill from now on??

No comments:

Post a Comment