Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Good Day

Isn't it funny how people tend to think of rural life as romantic? Not romantic in the kissy sense, but romantic as in spending our days on our front porches watching the corn grow without a care in the world.
I suppose we have recent country songs, such as "Big Green Tractor," to partly blame for such misrepresentation. If David came home and said he wanted to "take me for a a ride in his big green tractor, down through the woods, down through the pasture," I would most probably ask, "Wouldn't it be faster just to take the pickup?" And, "You realize the kids are coming along, right?"
The reality of it is that farm livin' isn't any better than city life, in my opinion anyway. It's a great place to raise a family, but I would appreciate more shopping and entertainment opportunities close by. I have a big yard, but in farm life there's no husband mowing the lawn after work. Oh, yeah. And after work? That's dark. Some people complain when the days get shorter in the fall. Not this farm wife.
But, once in awhile, once in a GREAT while, country life plays out like one of those happy farm-loving songs. My kids and I just had one of those idyllic days. We met friends at the local pool, had a picnic together, and swam all afternoon. We came home, they went outside to play, and are now quietly watching a movie while I make supper. Believe me--I have enjoyed every minute.
I wish these kind of summer days were the norm instead of the exception.
I suppose, though, I wouldn't appreciate them as much if that were so.

2 comments:

  1. This is Dustin, your cousin, not the Melius version, the Steward version. So checked my wife's blog and she has a link to yours so I clicked on it and read this story. We can help you out with your shopping needs. You guys should visit again! We often talk about the trip you made out here last time and how fun it was. Our basement is done now so everyone can have their own room to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome. Maybe, just maybe, we could get that to work sometime! We, too, have great memories of our weekend together and our boys still ask to go to Chuck E. Cheese's at least once a month!

    ReplyDelete