Thursday, June 17, 2010

Deja Vu

This is how it always goes when we plan to leave for a few days. I am documenting these steps so that I have a checklist in place for next time.
One of us throws out an idea and the planning begins. I get really excited because I love to plan trips--big or small.
A week or so out, David throws out a worse-case scenario dependent on the farm--we won't be able to go, he won't be able to go, he'll have to come back early, he will have to drive to Timbuktu for a farm emergency instead of going on our trip . . . . He is really trying to spare me from any unpleasant surprises (and thinking aloud as is his nature), but really it just puts me in a bad mood before we even leave. It doesn't matter what time of year we are planning to get away. This happens EVERY time.
I cautiously proceed with the planning and packing for all five of us, not wanting to get too excited just in case.
A couple days out, David decides that everything will be fine as planned and we will leave early on our day of departure. (So far this has happened EVERY time as well.)
On the day of departure, David moves our time of departure later in the day. This leaves me with excited kids who bounce off the walls until it is finally time to leave.
I wash, vacuum, clean out the van, and fill it with gas.
I pack everything in the van.
David takes everything out of the van and packs it the way he thinks it should be packed.
David backs out of the garage and we are on our way.
As we drive out of the yard, David tells me all of the things he is going to do as soon as we get back.
David asks me if I remembered to pack his belt. Of course not. I always forget his belt!
I either lose myself in a magazine or fall asleep. Preparing for vacation is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment