Thursday, June 10, 2010

Super Yummy Smoothies

We are on a smoothie kick here in the Melius house. It all started yesterday when I bought ingredients to make Berry Blast Smoothies. Nathan just could not wait to have a "moovie"! Here is the recipe from the June/July Simple & Delicious magazine:
Berry Blast Smoothies
1 cup V8 pomegranate-blueberry juice
1 bag frozen mixed berries (about 2 1/4 cups)
2 medium bananas, sliced
2/3 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
Blend it all together and enjoy! This recipe makes about 4 servings.
If you are using a food processor instead of a blender, be sure to hold down the lid tightly. We had a "berry" big mess right away!
David and I never received the standard blender for a wedding present. Can you believe it? I've lived without one this long, so I can probably survive another 9 years. Unless this smoothie fascination lasts all summer. . . then I might have to make that purchase.
Today smoothies were requested again. We didn't have the ingredients to make the berry blasts, so we improvised. Landen and Nathan brought in some strawberries from our patch, we added peaches that I had frozen last summer, a scoop of vanilla yogurt, a few splashes of juice, and blended that up. They are very yummy, too!
I love recipes like this that are more about learning the process than learning the exact measurements. If you need a thinner smoothie, just add more juice or a little milk.
I am more than happy to blend up smoothies as long as this kick lasts. You really can't find a much healthier snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment