Thursday, June 24, 2010

Emerson & Thoreau

My friend Deb and I were discussing 19th century American writers Emerson and Thoreau today at the swimming pool. (You didn't think I was still capable of a literary discussion after these last six years of Cheerios and Play Doh, did you?) :o)
Well, the dates and history behind these men are hazy, but I do remember they were two of my favorite writers to read in high school and to teach in my English class. They were both Transcendentalists, meaning they wanted to go beyond their current state in life. They were "self-help" writers before "self-help" was fashionable.
Here is a little Emerson/Thoreau class in a nutshell:

It is never too late to give up your prejudices. (Thoreau)

If I have so much as I stone, it owns me because I have to dust it. (Thoreau)

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. (Emerson)

And, my ABSOLUTE favorite:

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
(Emerson)

Thanks for stopping by. That concludes our literature class for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment