Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bring on the Christmas Shopping!

I have felt for several years that stores push Christmas shopping waaayy too early.
However, this year I have decided, "If you can't stop them, buy their stuff."
Even though I haven't even finalized my Thanksgiving menu (I am hosting for the first time this year--aaaahhhh!), I am deep into the Christmas shopping spirit.
Although I am a fan of online shopping (a semi-shopaholic who lives in the middle of nowhere has to feed her addiction somehow), I have actually managed to support my local mall already, too. I love that Bath & Body Works has their Christmas scents out and I have already shopped their sales twice. I have also been to Hallmark twice to peruse the Keepsake ornaments to choose just the right one for each of our kids. We always pick one that shows what they were interested in for that year. Nathan's was easy--Scooby Doo eating cookies! Landen is getting a school bus to mark his year as a Kindergartener and Teresa will have an Elmo ornament. She loves singing the Elmo song, "Wa, wa, wa. Wa, wa, wa. Wa, wa, wa. Wahhhh!"
David took me out on Friday evening and he had to get some things at Menards first. One would think that would be a pretty safe place to take one's wife, but not so much with me. While he looked for his electrical supplies, I stocked up on Christmas ribbon and some other great deals I just couldn't pass up. I found the cutest Santa-like red ribbon with white edging that I am going to use as garland on our tree. Do you think my Thanksgiving guests would mind if I had my Christmas tree decorated in the corner amongst the fall decor? I can't wait!
For the past two days since our little date, I have been fighting the urge to do some actual serious shopping. The main cause of this is that David, his dad, and brothers have been hunting for the past two days. When the men hunt, it REALLY makes me want to go out and spend (a.k.a. save) some money!! Isn't that what we wives are supposed to do?
Unfortunately, heading back up to Aberdeen to further stimulate their economy didn't work out yesterday or today. I did inform my husband after church this morning that I WOULD be "hunting" with my mom the day after Thanksgiving and he would have the kids. I figure, "what's fair is fair".
Rest assured, I have still been able to stay on top of my Christmas list from my little computer at home. I just received an email that my latest Amazon order has shipped. You would not believe how much money I SAVED! I am sure David will also be most impressed. ;o)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE "saving" too! My favorite thing is to bring home something that I got for a HUGE discount and show Ted the price tag and when he gasps at the original price, I say "guess how much I paid for this?" It's not so much fun anymore though, because by now he knows better than to think that I really paid the full price for it! Happy Black Friday shopping - maybe I will see you out and about!

    ReplyDelete