Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Growth


If there's anything that trips me up in life, it's that as soon as I get used to something, it changes. A company stops making a favorite product. A favorite restaurant or store closes. One of my kids presents a new behavioral challenge that needs to be dealt with. The kids' organized dressers suddenly hold clothes that are all too small. Good friends move away.
It is in these times, I am made aware of what a good match my husband is for me. Change doesn't faze him at all. In fact, he spends a good amount of his time bringing change about to make our farm more efficient or make life easier.
It is also in these times that I am made so very grateful for my faith in Jesus as he is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Whatever life throws at me, He will never close up shop or move away.
I read a great quote last night. In his article "Growth," Deacon Frank Tremblay shares a former professor's definition of growth. The professor is not named, but his definition is one I tend to remember. He said:

Growth is giving up that which you are best at,
for that which you are unsure of,
on the word of one who loves you.

Growth is hardly ever easy, but in my 32 years, I have found the result is always worth the effort.
And, so, building on yesterday's resolution to embrace little risks and changes in life, I hope that this year will be one of positive growth--for me and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment