Monday, January 10, 2011

Fitness Challenge

I usually don't make many New Year's resolutions, but this year I have made a couple unofficial ones. Until today. After this post, they will be in print and as official as it gets!
The first is to take little steps out of my comfort zone now and again. It is easy for me this time of year to get comfortable staying at home and then isolating myself. I am going to make an effort to reach out a bit more.
The second is to be more patient with my family and treat them as I would strangers. Isn't it interesting how it takes more effort to be patient with the ones we love the most? I know David isn't going anywhere, so sometimes he can be an easy target for my frustrations. We all know children can make a mom a little nuts at times, but I'm really trying to be more patient with them, too.
Today I started something that combines both of those resolutions. Our local community is having a Fitness Challenge as a fundraiser for Relay for Life. Participants get the benefit of eating right and exercising and Relay for Life is given a donation of $1 for each challenge met or $2 for each challenge not met. When I first got the email, I thought it would be way too much for me to handle. The words "fitness" and "challenge" have never been my favorites--especially when combined. After I slept on it, I realized the leaders of the challenge are normal people just like me. Chances were very good I could do, or have already been doing, some or most of the things in the challenges. The worst thing that could happen is it would cost me a $16 donation at the end of the 8 weeks. So, I stepped out of my little comfort zone and signed up.
The first challenge came in last night. It was made up of a few parts. The first was to do three Random Acts of Kindness this week. My brain immediately traveled outside of my home and how I could be nice to friends or strangers. Instead, I am going to make those acts of kindness count in my home this week. My family knows I love them, but I want to do little things to show them in the way they best receive it. Remember those love languages from last year?
The main part is to exercise 3 times this week for 30 minutes each. That's already on my schedule, so no problem there! Whew!
We are also encouraged to journal our food intake. I can pretty much guarantee that won't happen, but even thinking about each thing I eat has made me more mindful of where my calorie intake is coming from. Bites here and there at the kitchen counter can really add up in a hurry. Sweets and baked goods need to be my occasional treats instead of the go-to snacks. I LOVE sugar and carbs, so this is not easy for me!
I hope we don't get a week with no desserts allowed. That will be a $2 week for sure. I'm all for being healthy, but life is short! :o)
Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment