Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time Change

There is a joke in our family (maybe a truth--I've never tested it) that you should not call my Grandma Kallas for at least a week after we turn our clocks ahead. It seems losing that hour of sleep makes her a little crabby and she is always the first to admit it. Accurate or not, it is always good for a laugh this time of year anyway.
I am a bit crabby myself today. Maybe crabby isn't as accurate as apprehensive. Like my grandma, I do not like the time change either. It isn't so much the lack of sleep. After all, that is one of the perks of my job--I can take a nap if I need to. It is the longer days I really don't like.
Longer days mean longer work days for David--and in turn for me. Gone are the days when he is in at 6:30pm and is in the house for the night. Nope--if the sun is still up, farm work must be done. That, in turn, makes me feel like I should also be working until dark in the house or mowing the lawn even though David assures me often that I do not. The kids still go to bed reasonably well, but it is more difficult to get them to understand that 8pm is still 8pm even if it is light outside. When it comes down to it, as wonderful as summer can be, most of the time it is just darn right exhausting for this farm wife. I feel like our family has just taken a wonderful "long winter's nap" and I really don't want to wake up and start running quite yet.
I know it will be OK. Give me a week or so and I'll adjust. By then it should be safe to call Grandma, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment