Thursday, March 5, 2009

Planning my Garden

I am taking the plunge and ordering my garden supplies tonight. Between the warm sunny day and the Gurney's Catalog that is still calling my name, I cannot resist the temptation anymore.
I am playing it pretty safe. No cheddar hybrid cauliflower or purple carrots. I'm going to plant my standards--no tomatoes, many green beans, and some other odds & ends. People are always surprised to hear I don't plant tomatoes. Since I am the only one who eats tomatoes in our family, it is much more practical for me to buy the few I need or enjoy others' bountiful crops if they choose to share them with me. I do have to say tomato plants are fun, though. We garden-sat for our neighbors late last summer and received all the tomatoes, peppers, and green beans we could gather as our payment. The boys thought it was really neat to see how many more red or yellow tomatoes they could find each day. Of course, they didn't want to actually eat them!
I also refuse to plant or pay any money whatsoever for a zucchini. It is not because I dislike zucchini. (I don't know how anyone could dislike zucchini since it doesn't taste like anything!) My reason stems from my childhood. My dad was a pretty good gardener, but he always made sure that he planted 5 or so zucchini plants. I don't remember a year that all 5 or more didn't produce zucchinis like baby bunnies. We had zucchini like Bubba Gump had shrimp. You know what they say about locking your car door in small towns so you don't get a zucchini? Well, if I get a hankering for zucchini in the summertime, I just leave my car unlocked wherever I go. One way or another at least one zucchini always finds its way into my kitchen.
The only exception to my standard garden is a potted blueberry bush. It caught my eye last year and again this year. I like blueberries, but they are so expensive. Gurney's says this particular variety is easy to grow and I am going to buy some blueberry food to try to keep it happy. Potted plants generally like me, so hopefully we will hit it off.
As I said in my previous gardening post, the odds are stacked against me. I have my grandparents' farming/gardening genes when it comes to planting and harvesting, but it usually gets pretty weedy in between. I have a plan, however, to try to prevent another weed infestation like last year . . . ok, like every previous year.
A few years back, I listened to a talk on square-foot gardening. The idea is to separate your garden into square feet and plant each vegetable, flower, etc. in a seperate square. Since the plants provide more ground cover than they do in a row, it really helps to prevent weeds. I am also going to invest in a weed barrier or a bottle of Preen to keep the weeds at bay in between the squares.
I've explained my idea to my husband and surprisingly he thinks this will work well. He usually isn't so optimistic about my gardening aspirations. Hopefully that is a good omen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I hope your blueberry bush works! We unknowingly bought a couple of bushes on the side of our property with this house and it has quickly become my favorite plant during the summer months! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete