Thursday, March 12, 2009

Balancing

"So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act." -Dr. Seuss

I'm not a huge Dr. Seuss fan, but the book "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" is one of my favorites. There are so many lines in that book that I confront in my life, but none more than the one above.
It seems all I do is balance--kids and husband, rest and work, kid#1 and kid#2 and kid#3, part time job and securing a babysitter, hobbies and exercise, the kids' activity and TV time. And--when I finally feel like each side is equal (with maybe something balancing on my head as well), one of them falls and I start all over again.
There are so few days I actually feel balanced, but I felt that way this morning. Landen was at school, Nathan was at John Deere Days with David, and Teresa was running errands with me. For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a handle on things and didn't feel especially rushed or stressed.
This feeling was threatened, however, when I got home and called David to check on them. He gave me the impression that Nathan was not being as cooperative on their outing as he had hoped. Immediately I felt the guilt wash over my balanced self--like I was the one acting out during the combine movie and not eating my lunch!
It took me a little while to talk myself out of the impending guilt, but in the end I did not let the mom guilt ruin my day.
After all, David was the one who decided to take Nathan along. I am not 100% responsible for our toddler's sometimes erratic behavior (thank goodness). And--if David wasn't blaming me, why should I be blaming myself for not having crabby Nathan at home for me to enjoy?
So, I won that battle, but I'm sure there will be another one threatening me again soon!
One of my friends said she does the same thing with the mom guilt all the time. Have moms really been living with this guilt since time began?
We really need to stop the guilt and embrace the balance, ladies. If I can do it at least once, you can, too.
Is there a Mom Guilt Support Group? If I wouldn't feel so guilty about leaving my kids for the meetings, I would start one.

No comments:

Post a Comment