Friday, February 17, 2012

Waffle Night

Yesterday David informed me he had a "thing" for the evening.
I said I had a "thing," too. 
Then we had a good laugh.


Inspired by Rachael Ray's Waffle Week this week, I decided the kids and I would have waffles for supper while dad was away eating prime rib at his meeting.  Halfway through the mixing process, though, I realized I was completely out of white flour. 
I was horrified.  My mom, to whom I was talking on the phone, was very disappointed in me. 
What was I going to do with my almost completed waffle batter??  I ran down to the freezer one more time and found the bag of whole wheat flour.  (Yes, I freeze my flour.)  I substituted the whole wheat flour, added a few things to make it taste a bit more kid-friendly, and everyone loved them!  No one knew or cared that they were healthier than the original version.  Here's a new recipe for you to try as we come up on the weekend.

Whole Wheat Waffles
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk (or add a splash of lemon juice to regular milk and let set a few minutes)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-2 teaspoons apple pie spice (or cinnamon if you prefer)

Heat waffle iron.  Place egg yolks in large bowl and whites in small bowl.  To yolks, add buttermilk; beat well.  Add flour, baking powder, soda and salt; beat until smooth.  Stir in oil, vanilla, sugar and spice.  Beat egg whites until soft peaks form (or at least frothy in you are in a hurry and/or have small hungry children).  Fold whites into batter.  Spread evenly in waffle iron.  Bake until golden brown. 

Guess what?  My need to buy flour turned into a "thing" for me, too, this morning. 
Coffee with my girls and my dear friend Kelly.  It was just what I needed. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment