Monday, February 6, 2012

Church Music

Since the last Sunday in January, I have been playing the part of a real live church organist (or church pianist to be more precise).  Our full time organist is gone through the month of February and she asked if I could fill in.  Thanks to my wonderful husband being willing to sit with our four kids on his own, I was able to do it.  (OK, Rachel hasn't been awake for mass yet, but she probably will be before the end of the month!)
I subbed several times in our former parish and a few times at All Saints, but this is my first experience being responsible for everything from choosing the songs to putting the numbers on the board. 
Choosing the music has been the best part.  There is a music liturgy guide which suggests several songs appropriate for each Sunday's readings, so that takes a lot of the guess work out of it. 
I have a love for both old hymns and more contemporary songs,  So far my selections slightly favor the more traditional.  My favorite hymn, "How Great Thou Art" is coming up in a couple weeks.
I chose my favorite contemporary song for yesterday's mass before I knew what God would have in store for our family the very next day.  I first heard "You Are Mine" at the beginning of my sophomore year of college.  I had been homesick my freshman year and was apprehensive with the start of a new one.  I found such comfort in the words based on Isaiah.  It has been my favorite ever since.  Feeling God's great love through this song can (and often does) make me cry on a normal Sunday (which can get messy when I forget to pack tissues in my purse!)  I knew it would be difficult yesterday, and with no choir behind me, I didn't have a choice but to sing.  I made it almost to the end. 
The last verse is what always gets me.
"I am the Word that Leads all to freedom, I am the peace the world cannot give.  I will call your name, embracing all your pain.  Stand up, now, walk and live!" 
Love it, love it, love it.
I will post a You Tube link so you can hear it, too.
Now it is time for me to get practicing for next Sunday.  At least I remembered to change the numbers yesterday.  I'll get this all figured out by the end of the month--I hope! :o)
May God bless your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment