Thursday, September 15, 2011

No Sack Lunch For You!

There are all sorts of things that demand parents' attention once school starts--the homework folders, the library books, the extra projects, studying for tests, remembering money for class parties (still haven't gotten to that one!), and the list goes on and on and on.  Some nights I am so proud of myself for remembering to unpack, have my boys complete, and repack everything, I think I deserve a cookie. 
So I have one.  Oatmeal Chocolate Chip.  OK, maybe two . . . .
One thing I never pay attention to, however, is the lunch menu.  Landen used to ask when he would get to take a sack lunch to school.  He even started to claim to have allergies (as if his own mother wouldn't know) so he could get his own lunch.  He could not believe that I would question something as serious as a food allergy!  Nathan has already pleaded for a sack lunch this year, too.  It's not that they don't like the lunches offered at school.  (Well, maybe our pickier Nathan doesn't care for some of them.)  There is just something so exciting about taking their lunches to school!
I remember asking my parents for the same thing.  So does David.  We both got the same answer from them, "There is always SOMETHING you can eat at school." 
School lunches have a bad reputation, but I have eaten a few of ours and they are quite good.  There is no way I could pack a nutritious lunch for less money than for what we pay through the school's program.  Besides that, I really don't want to!
Oh, poor offspring of ours!  I am sorry to tell you this, but as long as there is a hot lunch program, you have no hope of taking a sack lunch to school. 
Blame it on your grandparents. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment