Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tricks of the Trade

Nathan had to take a trip to the doctor this morning.  After a few days of ear aches, it was time to get them checked out.  It turns out it was a good thing we did as both were infected. 
Our doctor ordered a chewable antibiotic for him after I assured him that would be fine. 
I did not anticipate what was to come.
I gave Nathan the first dose in the parking lot.  He chewed the tablet, but then held it in his mouth for ten minutes before finally swallowing.  Nothing could convince him to make it go down.  (And I didn't have a spoonful of sugar to help either!)   
I have never had a child do that before, but I should have seen it coming from my child who can gag and make himself throw up at will.
I threw out an SOS on Facebook and my friends came to the rescue.  There were many helpful ideas.  I decided to go the "crushed up in applesauce" route with a "5 chocolate chip chaser" for a bribe. 
It worked like a charm. 
Only 18 more doses to go.
I better buy some more applesauce.
And chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment