Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Caffeine and Ibuprofen

I have missed these friends of mine during pregnancy! 
After this baby is born, I plan to drink caffeinated coffee until my heart is content.  I am fortunate that my doctor is quite liberal with the amount of caffeine she allows me to have, which is 2 caffeinated drinks a day.  This two coffee (my caffeine source of choice) minimum is not a hardship. That is probably what I usually have anyway, but it is the act of thinking about it and rationing my caffeine intake each day that I will not miss. To help keep the caffeine within the limit, I make half-caf or go decaf--if it's a good morning. :o)
I know some expectant moms quit the caffeine altogether.  That was not a problem for me in my first two pregnancies, but after my Nathan was born, my first thought of the day became, "Where's the coffee?"  Yes, I made it through all of college and three years of teaching before I fell in love with coffee in the morning.  My mom was afraid that I would NEVER turn into a coffee drinker! :o) 
And then there's good old ibuprofen.  We expectant moms are only allowed Tylenol for our aches and pains.  I am not a big fan.  Again, after I had Nathan, I took a bit too much over the course of two weeks for pain and ended up with what was most likely a stomach ulcer.  I don't plan on doing that again, but it will be nice to take something that actually works! 
Put the two--coffee and ibuprofen--together and that is most certainly a stomach ulcer waiting to happen! 
Hopefully I will be able to take it easy on the ibuprofen.
But, I am expecting to require more coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment