Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Favorite Herb

Is it normal to have a favorite herb?  Well, I do.  I have decided that cilantro (just narrowly defeating basil) is my favorite fresh herb.  It is the reason why I love fresh salsa sooo much.  YUM! 
I have planted cilantro since I started my herb garden a few years ago, but I have never harvested any of my own.  It always goes to seed and turns into coriander before I get a chance.  So, I use my garden cilantro solely for its aroma! 
When we were planning our salsa making day, I stocked up on plenty of cilantro.  In the end, I had four bunches left!  I couldn't let it go to waste, but didn't know what else to do with it.  Roxanne suggested a pesto.  I looked online for a recipe today and found one!  I improvised just a bit the with ingredients I had on hand. 
My little helper (see fingers) wasn't too impressed with the end result, but had fun making it with me!  I, however, think it is VERY good!
 Cilantro Pesto (my version)
1 cup almonds (I used Planters Sea Salt & Olive Oil flavored almonds.)
4 bunches cilantro (about 4 good sized hand fulls if you are using your own)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon chopped jalapeno
2 teaspoons salt
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil

You may have to process this in two batches and then stir it together.  My food processor is full sized and it couldn't quite handle it all at one time.  Partially chop almonds in food processor.  Add rest of ingredients except for olive oil.  Turn on food processor and slowly pour olive oil into the mixture while it is chopping.  Process until it is the consistency you like.  More olive oil will keep it moist.

I froze this in 1 cup measured lumps on a cookie sheet.  Once they are completely frozen, I will break them off and store them in a Ziploc bag in the freezer.  Our family likes pesto over pasta, especially tortellini.
Basil pesto is always such a wonderful reminder of summer in the middle of winter.  I am sure this cilantro pesto, with a little kick, will be the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment