Monday, September 19, 2011

I Believe . . .

in pregnancy brain! 
While visiting Registered Nurse extraordinaire Rachel last week, I referred to my "pregnancy brain." 
She told me some very good news.  It is REAL!
I have always believed it is real, since no other time in my life can I begin speaking a sentence and then completely lose the end of it somewhere in space.  I may forget things and be a little preoccupied sometimes normally, but this particular problem happens only when I am pregnant.
I thought the reasons were purely psychological--caused by being tired, preoccupied with the baby's health and preparing for baby, taking care of older children, etc.
It turns out there is also a physical reason for this. 
As Rachel explained it, the baby needs fat to grow and develop.  Some of this fat is taken from the mother's brain as baby grows.  I was so excited to tell David this news!
Now I also have another good reason to eat more ice cream. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment