Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why South Dakota?

As we were nearing my hometown of Eureka yesterday, Landen asked me, "Why do we live in South Dakota?"
My mind instantly started to swim.  How should I answer that?  I've asked myself that same question a time or two.
---
For me, the biggest reason I stayed here (before getting married) is this is where my roots are.  I love to travel, but being able to spend time with my extended family is priceless.  I admire those who can move long distances from their families and see them maybe once a year.  That was never in my DNA.
I also love the sunsets, the people, and the sense of security we have here that is seldom shaken. 
Even with the positives, I am still far from saying that South Dakota is the promised land.  The wind, mosquitoes, and extreme temperatures can about do me in from time to time.  There is a reason why we Germans have the reputation of being stubborn.  Our ancestors had to be or no one would have survived.  The landscape (in my part of the state, anyway) is not very exciting to the average non-farmer.  Our entertainment options are often limited to siblings of once-famous people or local bands who someday hope to make it big.
---
After those few short seconds, I answered, "I suppose because this is where our farm is."
Landen replied, "Dad said it's because people wave."
I couldn't argue with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment