Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Camping

Camping seems to be the reclaimed summer fun family activity.  I know some have always camped, but I seem to hear a lot more people (even some with very young children) talking about family camping trips lately.  And liking it.
I wish it sounded like fun.
I really do.
I blame my parents.
Camping for us was a Super 8.  A luxurious camping experience included an indoor pool.
The closest I want to get to camping right now is what we had near Duluth last summer--a 2 bedroom apartment with no air conditioning.
As is usual in such circumstances, as I was trying to forget about my hot, sticky misery and wondering what to do with three energetic kids in a small space, David made the comment that living--yes, living--in such conditions wouldn't be so bad.  Oh, husband of mine!  I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if I was the one working 12-hour days OUTSIDE our imagined hot, cramped apartment.  But, I digress.
So what do I have against camping?
I have about a 5 degree outside temperature comfort zone and about the same tolerance for wind speed.  I like to be clean at the end of the day and have my kids be clean, too.  If I am on vacation, I do not want to cook.  If we had a camper, I wouldn't want another "house" to keep clean and free of mice.  We can roast marshmallows right here in our yard at home--and I can go inside when the mosquitoes start to bite! 
When it comes down to it, if I am going to have the same responsibilities that I do at home only in a much smaller (and probably less comfortable) space, I would rather just stay home and wait for the next vacation opportunity to arise.
A hotel next to the mall?
Now that's quality family bonding time!

1 comment:

  1. I am totally in agreement with you on this one. I will be in the next room at that hotel near the mall! :)

    ReplyDelete