Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Sister in My History

This Saturday the Presentation Sisters will formally celebrate 125 years in Aberdeen SD.  There will be activities, tours, and historical presentations throughout the day on the convent grounds.  Point of Grace will perform an outdoor concert in the afternoon. 
I always love visiting Presentation Heights, where the sisters reside, during the half-day retreats they host twice a year.  Their hospitality is like nowhere else and it is always to joy to visit with them. 
The Presentation Sisters have long been active in education and medical care in Aberdeen.  They opened their first school in Aberdeen 1886 and St. Luke's Hospital, which is currently our major regional medical center, was begun by the sisters in 1901. 
 
Although there have been other nuns and at least one priest in our family, I believe Sister Leona Kallas (above) is the only Presentation Sister in my family history.  According to the Presentation website:
Sister Leona (Clara) Kallas was born July 21, 1903 in Leola, SD. She entered the convent Feb 10, 1926 and professed July 16, 1928. She entered nurses training at Holy Rosary Hospital in Miles city and graduated in 1931 with a nursing diploma.  She died Sept. 5, 1997. 
Coincidentally, this is the same day Mother Teresa died.  She served as a registered nurse in Aberdeen for 45 years.

Here she is on a Black Hills vacation with her sister, Sister Anicetus (Frances) Kallas, who was a Dominican Sister. 
I did have a chance to meet Sister Leona at least once while I was growing up.  She took me on my one and only trip over the Aberdeen traffic through the brick walkway that connects St. Luke's with Lourdes Hall across the street.  I had always wanted to do that! 
I wish now that I had gotten a chance to know her better.
And, so, that is your Kallas family history lesson for the day.
Happy Anniversary, Presentation Sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment