Monday, December 21, 2009

"Substitute" Gingerbread Cookies




Landen requested that we make gingerbread cookies last week. Despite my hesitation taking on such a project, I found a guaranteed "easy to roll" recipe online and started mixing up the dough on Saturday morning.
The only problem was I found too late that all of my recent baking has taken quite a toll on the baking cupboard! I had to subsitute a few things--even half of the required molasses! Thankfully they still came out smelling and tasting like gingerbread, so all of the substitutes didn't affect the outcome too badly.
Here is my recipe (with substitutes if you want them to taste just like mine). :o)

"Substitute" Gingerbread Cookies
1 cup white sugar
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp groung nutmeg (Oops! A quick run to the pantry revealed that my only reserve spices were chili powder and allspice. Allspice smelled similar, so I used my last 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and another 1/2 tsp of allspice. I know that only adds up to 1 tsp, but I was afraid to add too much of a spice that wasn't even in the recipe.)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup molasses (I found online that dark corn syrup can be substituted, so I added a 1/2 cup of syrup to my last 1/2 cup of molasses.)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup evaporated milk
3/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp lemon extract (I have never had lemon extract on hand, but saw one recipe reviewer added almond extract to hers. I couldn't find my almond extract, so I used 3/4 tsp amaretto liqueur.)
4 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Mix in the melted margarine, evaporated milk, molasses, and extracts. Stir in the flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. The dough should be stiff enough to handle without sticking to fingers. If necessary, add up to 1/2 cup more flour to prevent sticking.
Chill dough in refrigerator before rolling. Roll out onto a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes and place on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool a few minutes and then remove to cool on wire racks.
We learned that the dough must be very cold and more flour needs to be sprinkled on it when cutting them out, even if it doesn't seem like it is sticky.
These are best with frosting and are great for dunking!

No comments:

Post a Comment