Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What is that SMELL?

Ah, the mystery smell. Few things are as terrifying especially when children are involved.
I woke up this morning and noticed a strange smell throughout the house. The garbage? No. The kids' rooms? Nope. The dishwasher? Not there either!
I finally tracked down the smell to the living room. Where could this sour milk/dead mouse/poopy diaper smell be coming from in that one room?
Then, as I crossed in front of the entertainment center looking for forgotten sippy cups my nose zeroed in on the culprit--my houseplant.
It is a beautiful houseplant that David once bought for me. I have managed to keep it thriving for several years. (This is probably due to the fact that it prefers dry soil.) It really does like it when I remember to water it with cooled leftover water from boiling green beans, spinach, or broccoli.
Well, it seems the leftover broccoli water from last night must have contained some bits of broccoli. That was the AWFUL smell coming from the plant.
I immediately plugged in a new air freshener. I sprinkled just a bit of baking soda on the soil (not recommended, but I had to do SOMETHING) and covered it with a new layer of potting soil. I hope that helps or I may just have to re-pot it altogether.
David came in a little bit ago and said, "It smells like a poopy diaper in here."
So, I did the only other thing I could think of. I baked cookies.
That should help mask the smell for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment