Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Leftover Days

I have always had mixed feelings about the days in between Christmas and New Years Eve. After all the excitement of Christmas has passed, Dec. 26-30 can be a bit of a letdown until the next party arrives.
As a child, I used them to write thank you notes (one of my favorite things to do as a child), play with my new toys, and spend my Christmas money.
As a teenager, these days were sometimes boring and sometimes fun. One year (I forget which--sometime in the late 90's), Christmas vacation was extended by several days due to blizzards and extremely cold weather. Instead of hoping for a snow day, you could almost hear an audible groan rumble through town as students heard over the radio announcements that we would all be home and away from our friends for yet another day. It was on one of those days a bunch of us girls from around town gathered outside and went sledding on the best hills we could find. It was so much fun to play like a child outside in the snow again.
As a college student, Christmas vacation was especially nice because of the semester schedule. There was absolutely nothing at college that would require my attention for a good three weeks. I was a nerd who used every Spring Break writing research papers to get them done ahead of time, but Christmas required no note cards or stacks of books (that's how we did research 10 years ago). It was also wonderful getting together with friends and watching movies, playing games, and laughing into the wee hours of the morning.
What have these leftover days been like this year? I have to say that it has not been bad at all. We have all been sleeping in (until 7:30am). The boys have had a steady diet of playing outside, playing downstairs with their toys, watching TV, and playing Wii. They have been together constantly and have gotten along surprisingly well. Teresa spends most of her time on my heels every time I dare take two steps away from her and whining. You gotta love two year olds! So, that isn't such a great part, but the rest has been alright. She's still cute, so she has that going for her at least.
It looks like we will have a pretty tame New Year's Eve this year. We will have my side of the family's Chrsitmas celebration at our house and then will hit the day early as David and I leave early in the morning on January 1 for a little vacation. We will return January 5.
If I don't get back to the blog before then Happy New Year and I will "see" you when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment