Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mean Mom

I had to be a mean mom this morning. I have written about Landen's tendency to lose articles of clothing--namely gloves--on his way to/from or at school. I have to be tolerant since I have also lost a pair of gloves this winter and had similar misplacing tendencies as a child, but my Landen has a talent for misplacing things--and never finding them again--like no other.
Yesterday he wore a brand new pair of gloves to school. Last night he walked in the door and told me, "They must have fallen off." Grrrrr!!!
His dad has threatened him that if he lost one more pair of gloves, he would go without until he found them. Well, this morning was that test.
David was out pushing snow from our yard, so it was up to me. At first I was going to be nice. Landen had found another pair of gloves on the floor and the mitten clips we had found in the entry closet. Based on their packaging, the clips look quite vintage, but are in brand new condition. As I was clipping the gloves to his coat and giving him a lecture about being responsible for his things, finding them, etc., he told me, "You just have too many gloves around here."
Well, I solved that problem in a hurry. The gloves stayed here and Landen left for the bus. He wasn't happy with this mom, but maybe it will be the motivation he needs to realize this house isn't an endless fountain flowing with extra pairs of gloves.
Tough love is tough on both of us, but sometimes it is necessary. I am sure it won't be the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment