Saturday, December 12, 2009

Family Movies

My sister is a great judge of movies--especially family movies.

The first she told me about was "Meet the Robinsons."
I had thought about buying the movie for our family, but I didn't know if it was appropriate as the previews had looked kind of . . . um . . . silly. However, after she assured me it was appropriate for small children and had a great message, I just happened to find it in a bargain bin at a local convenience store as I was buying my coffee one Sunday morning. We watched it that night and it really was wonderful. The message--KEEP MOVING FORWARD--is one with which I frequently struggle and need to be reminded to do from time to time. It is such an imaginative, funny, reminder that our world is always changing and the best is yet to come.

The most recent favorite is "Horton Hears a Who." I had wanted to take the boys to it last summer, but for some reason or another it didn't work out. We have the older cartoon on the same video as "The Grinch" cartoon, so they have seen that version several times. I had never watched the entire thing.
Then one day as I was changing the boys' beds and Nathan was watching it in the living room above, I heard some great wisdom drift down the stairs--A PERSON'S A PERSON NO MATTER HOW SMALL.
As we were flipping through sale ads on Thanksgiving, Amanda assured me that the new version was again very suitable for young children (not all Seuss remakes in the past have been).
Yesterday it came from Netflix and we had a family movie night. It is very cute--Horton can do GREAT things with his ears--and again the central message is repeated at the end--EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN'T SEE THEM OR HEAR THEM AT ALL, A PERSON'S A PERSON NO MATTER HOW SMALL.
A pro-life message? I choose to think so. A reminder that we need to look out for each other--especially the "little" people? Definitely.
If you want to have a family movie night, need to entertain the kids while you get a little holiday baking done, or still have a movie lover on your Christmas list these are two wonderful choices. Don't forget the popcorn!

No comments:

Post a Comment