Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Weighed Down

Some days I am very jealous of David. He gets to leave the house and do his job without worrying about what his three little children are going to be up to. I would say he does it without interruption, but I know he has his own set of interrupters--implement dealers, implement problems, etc. Still, some days I really look forward to the day when I can just go somewhere or do something simple without making several calls to find a babysitter or loading up three carseats to take them along with me. For example, today I have to figure out how to mow the lawn while making sure all three kids are safe playing in the yard. Our yard is quite big, and they are not always visible from where I will be. Call me overprotective, but I just don't look forward to that at all.
Yesterday I got my haircut. For most people, getting a haircut is a minor event, barely even noticeable on their monthly planners. For me, this necessity requires many steps of planning. First, there is asking David if he can take the boys with him. (I have found that Teresa does just fine going to the salon with me. It must be a girl thing.) If he can, I must continue to remind him of our aggreement up until the time I drive out of the yard. If he cannot, I must call friends and family to see who can watch the kids for about an hour while I get my split ends trimmed. My usual contacts are my friend Kelly and aunt-in-law Phylis, one or the other who can usually help me out.
Calling for babysitters is really not one of my favorite things to do. Every once in awhile, David will come in the house and say, "Find a babysitter and we'll go to a movie tonight." Although I always LOVE the thought of a movie, finding a babysitter is many times easier said than done. After I make a couple of fruitless calls, I resign myself to wine & popcorn together in front of a DishNetwork movie. David accuses me of not really wanting to go out at all. Really, I am just tired of the rejection.
I must say that am very thankful for my parents-in-law and aunt & uncle in-law who live 20 miles away. They help us out often, especially during the school year when I need a fill-in sitter to help out with my drama coaching job. Many times when the boys go over to help Dad or Grandpa, I know they end up in the house having chocolate or strawberry milk and playing farm with Grandma. All of those instances help me out immensely. Still, I try not to call too often, lest my wonderfully behaved children wear out their welcome.
Yesterday as I was at the quilt shop choosing fabric for Teresa's birthday quilt, I told the owner that I couldn't wait to start attempting some of the beautiful projects they had on display. A mother with two grown sons, she assured me that it goes very fast. Honestly, I can already see that happening. When I think that Landen will be in school for 13 years and then realize how fast the past 8 years of married life have gone, I know it will not seem long at all until he graduates high school.
Thus, the constant struggle of a mom--wanting to do life's simple tasks without being weighed down, but realizing that these precious days of having my little chicks safe in their nest really are fleeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment