Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vacation Preparations

These are the weeks I love--the week leading up to vacation!

In addition to the normal vacation preparations--laundry, cleaning, laundry . . ., we took on an additional project this week. On Monday night, we went to Aberdeen to buy new guest room carpet and plywood for the new storage room shelving. David built and installed the shelves in our storeroom on Tuesday. I was in charge of moving the "stuff" from one room to another. I managed to cut out 1 1/2 plastic totes this time! Tuesday evening I just couldn't wait any longer and started painting a couple of accent walls in the guest room. I used a gallon of paint that my mother-in-law had handed off to me a couple of years ago. It is called "Secluded Wood." It does not look great wet, but is a very pretty gold/brown after it dries. It really warmed up the feeling of the room even without having everything moved back in yet.
Yesterday I had plenty on my "to do" list, but decided to go on a quick road trip to Fargo with David instead. I was more than happy to go with him on farm business for a couple of hours as long as we could stop at Cold Stone Creamery before we left for home.
And that brings me to today. It seems every time I crossed something off my list this morning, I added something new. It finally feels like I'm gaining now, though. I have the kids packed (although I almost forgot the boys' underwear). Oops! I mowed the lawn this morning and harvested another big bowl full of green beans before dinner that I will have to get in the freezer tonight.
After Teresa wakes up from her nap, we will go to Faulkton to run some errands and that will take care of most of the to-do list for today.
Whew! Thank goodness tomorrow brings our family vacation! I have been politely reminding (he would probably say nagging) David about when we would go all summer. With school starting on Aug. 25, the traditional after-wheat harvest vacation is no longer an option for us. Thankfully the rain made it possible for us to get away this weekend.
After weighing several options, we decided to vacation in Sioux Falls. This will give the kids time to see their cousins, David & me to visit his siblings, and plenty of time to take in the Sioux Falls Air Show! I really had no idea this air show is such a big deal. It was quite the feat to find a hotel room for the weekend. Other than the air show and going to the falls, our weekend is pretty much open for spontaneous fun. We haven't told the boys that Sioux Falls has a Chuck E. Cheese's, but I am sure we will make a stop there as well.
Since blogging was not on my list at all, I suppose I better get back to packing my own suitcase. I'll blog when we get back!
P.S. See Air Show photos and information at www.siouxfallsairshow.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment