Saturday, July 11, 2009

Piano is my Forte

If you speak "music" you will understand the title of this post. :o)

David and I were able to get up to Aberdeen on Thursday to run some errands, visit his Great Aunt & Uncle, and go on a date. Grandma & Grandpa Melius offered to keep the kids overnight. Nathan's response to the offer was, "Oh. That's cool." We agreed. No tears were shed from either side as we pulled out of their driveway.
My errand was to get to the music store to buy the next level of books for one of my piano students. Usually I just call and have them mailed, but I really wanted to see what was new. Not only did I find a different book for Hannah, but left with a few things for myself. I hadn't added to my repertoire in quite some time. As I was making my final glance over the sheet music, the store clerk brought the new Lorie Line Heritage Collection book to my attention. Thinking I was going to buy it sometime anyway and they needed the business more than Amazon, I added the book to my total as well. I stopped short at the "excellent used" grand piano in the back. $10,000 is a bit over the budget of a piano teacher with two students.
It just so happened that I am playing piano for mass this Sunday. I fill in about once a month when our organist is out of town. For the past several months, I have pretty much been winging it. (Some Sundays this is more obvious than others.) With my children, it is difficult for me to get a good practice in. Usually Landen is on the high notes, Nathan picks up the bass, and they love playing in a "band" with mom. I rarely sit down at the piano unless I am teaching lessons one hour a week.
When I opened the music envelope from our organist last night, I knew it would not be one of those familiar and easy Sundays. Linda had pulled out all the sharps and flats for this week. With the kids in bed I sat down to practice.
Then something wonderful happened. I had forgotten how much I liked to play. With no imminent interruptions, I actually took the time to try out a new piece. This morning I again sat down at the piano while just Teresa and I were home. She indicated nonverbally that she would play with her doll stroller as long as I wore the green and purple dragon hat on my head. I complied with her wishes and all was well. I remembered that I had purchased Lorie Line's previous Heritage Collection book and had not yet played anything from that either.
It was time again that I rediscovered the piano. Even when I don't use it for a long while, it is a skill I am always thankful to have been taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment