Friday, June 12, 2009

This Means You

You would think that after 5 1/2 years, I would know that having just one child awake in the morning just doesn't happen.
But still, I try.
Landen is usually the first one up. Unfortunately, this never lasts long. He knows how to take his own bath and get dressed, so I suppose this is what always trips me up. He should be able to go about his business and play quietly for awhile until his siblings wake up. He is reminded several times every morning to be quiet because he sister is sleeping in the next room. Somehow he thinks yelling, "MOM!" from the bathtub is being quiet. Singing original opera-style songs and "We are the Champions" at the top of his lungs must also fall into the quiet category. Inevitably, Teresa is soon awake. Let's not forget turning the lights on in his bedroom as he gets dressed. "I didn't wake up Nathan," he has told me, "I just had to turn the lights on to see what I was doing!"
For some reason, he just doesn't seem to realize that commands such as "Quiet" and "Do Not Enter" apply to him. When I was cleaning up the utility room after our water heater adventure, I had the door closed as I swept water down the drain. It didn't take 5 minutes for Landen to open the door. "I do not want kids in here right now," I told him. It didn't even phase him as he proceeded to walk into the room with Teresa at his heels. "Is it OK if Teresa's in here?" he asked. I don't know who he thought I was referring to when I said "kids." His friends a mile up the road maybe??
I hope this is a lesson he learns as he grows up. I am sure school will help in this area. If not, when you are out and about in 15 or so years and see signs posted warning people not to enter, not to sit on wet paint, or to turn off their cell phones followed by "This means you," look around for a red headed young man with a big smile.
Landen will surely not be too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment