Friday, June 26, 2009

What a Thursday

David said this morning he heard that the Internet was close to crashing yesterday with everyone Twittering, Facebooking, and searching for information on the deaths of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. I read of the people in Times Square reading the news feed and instantly taking out their phones to text. I'm sure that was a sight in itself. I think the last time there was such a need to instantly communicate was September 11, 2001--before Twitter & Facebook even existed.
I was brand new to this world (or maybe getting ready to make my appearance) when Farrah was an "Angel." Likewise, I was somewhere around first or second grade when Michael was crowned as King of Pop. I vaguely remember his performances and the birth of the "moon walk." Suddenly, it seemed like everyone, including myself was walking backward to music. Bruce Springsteen was more my style, but worked just fine for doing the moon walk next to my parents' record player. Like most people, was left confused and unimpressed by his increasingly strange appearance and behavior in public as the years went on.
Neither of these people made a huge impact on my life, nor did they ever cross my mind unless the media brought them to my attention. Still, I audibly gasped as I learned of each of their deaths yesterday.
Why? Perhaps it is that I am still somewhat under the illusion that entertainment icons are immune to real life problems and disease to which the rest of us are still susceptible. Even if they are suffering, surely they will pull through and live for many years to come, right? I fully expected Farrah would get that miracle she was praying for. Even when I saw that Michael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital, I assumed it was yet another publicity stunt.
May we live each day appreciating our health and the presence of those we love. Yesterday we were doubly reminded of the mortality of rich and poor alike. That should be nothing new, but judging by America's reaction, these reminders never cease to find us unprepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment