Thursday, June 11, 2009

Women's Ag Day

The invitation first arrived in the mail in the form of a flier. Faulkton was having a Women's Ag Day on June 10. I had too much agriculture in my life already, I thought, and into the trash it went. The next week there was a front page story in the newspaper. I decided to pass it by again. Besides, I didn't want to get a babysitter for a whole day. The next day my phone rang. It was my cousin-in-law Nikki asking me if I wanted to go to the Women's Ag Day. I still resisted until she told me what had piqued her curiosity--lunch and wine tasting. After that brief conversation, it didn't take long for me to find a babysitter and commit to the day-long affair. I can endure pretty much anything if there will be lunch served at some point. And free wine? Bring on absolutely anything.
I am so glad I went. The speakers were informative, entertaining, or both. The vendors (local photography, Stampin' Up!, the Quilt Shop, the Purse Closet, etc.) were fun to browse through. The lunch was FANTASTIC and the wine was yummy. Two bottles of wine from ChrisaMari Vineyards near Pierre were my purchase for the day--one grape blush and one pumpkin.
There was a time when I resented the label "farm wife" or "housewife." They still aren't my favorite words, but I learn at events like yesterday's that those labels can look very different depending on the person. Some farm wives work alongside their husbands outside. They love to tag calves and till the land. To them I say, "You go girl."
Others, like Nikki and myself, hold down the fort inside for the most part and keep the meals coming--a half hour early or two hours late, of course. We all share some of the same frustrations. Interpreting our husbands' confusing hand signals as they drive by and putting up with their seasonal moods fall into this category.
I hope the Women's Ag Day will be held again. It is nice to have the camaraderie with farm wives of all types. They might not even have to tempt me with lunch or wine next time.
But it wouldn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment