Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The First Born

Last week I overheard David playing with the kids downstairs. Finally, he said, "Landen, stop bossing us around." Landen replied, "But I'm just telling you the truth!" Oh, the first borns. We can be a bossy lot. But we really just want you to know the truth!
I have been reading "The New Birth Order Book" by Dr. Kevin Leman. It really is amazing how much Dr. Leman hits right on the nose when it comes to birth order. I have thought on occasion (after tense moments with my husband) that first borns should not be allowed to marry and in fact Dr. Leman has an entire section devoted to the problems that can arise (like the occasional power struggles when we BOTH think we know the TRUTH!) What helps us is we are different types of first borns. David is more aggressive and I err on the side of people-pleasing. (That's a whole other book I have yet to read . . . .)
I had a light bulb moment in a section where Dr. Leman says first borns hate to be asked "why" they have done something. Oh my gosh. I HATE that! Obviously I have done something a particular way because it is the RIGHT way! Too bad David usually has his own RIGHT way. :o)
Our family is pretty stereotypical with the precocious first born, the frustrated middle child and the baby "princess." (Dr. Leman's word--not mine. I want my daughter to be stronger that the term "princess" implies.)
I tried to treat all of our children the same as they came along, but the birth order roles inevitably emerged--even at their young ages. My friend Kelly, from whom I am borrowing the book, said that it must be God's plan because we need leaders, negotiators, and free spirits in the world. I had never looked at it that way before.
Of course, birth order characteristics are also determined by the age gap between children, boys or girls, etc. and there are exceptions to every rule.
Do you follow the rule or are you an exception?

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    I can really relate to this story! Being the oldest in my family, I'm also sure that my sisters would be able to tell you a thing or two about my personality!! Keep up the blog, I am enjoying reading your writings!!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete