Sunday, May 10, 2009

Beautiful Life

Do you ever feel God tapping you on the shoulder and saying, "Stop and see the beauty of THIS moment"? I had a few of those this past weekend.
Early Friday evening, my best friend Rachel and baby Brandon arrived to a very excited household. We all love when Rachel visits because, well, she's Rachel! Anyone who wouldn't be ecstatic for her visit is CRAZY. And now she has a baby which makes it even more fun--if that is possible. (She also has a fun husband--we hope to see you next time, Eddie!)
Shortly before her arrival, the kids and I had been dancing in the future dining room, which for now hosts a long hardwood dance floor. We came across the song "Beautiful Life" from the Dance Party 1997 CD. (Class of '97 RULES!) Anyway . . . Landen decided all of a sudden that he LOVED that song. As soon as Rachel arrived, he couldn't wait for her to hear it. We made him wait through supper, ice cream cake, and the opening of Christmas gifts (yeah--we need to see each other more often). Finally, I said we could listen to the song.
Nathan, as is his usual habit, cranked the stereo and we all entered the dining room like it was once again Homecoming in the Eureka gym.
That was the moment. There we all were dancing like it was 1997--my best friend and both our children running, jumping, or bouncing up and down (depending on age) and for that song all was right with the world. The name of Landen's new favorite song had to be more than just a coincidence.
I felt the tap again on Saturday midway through the MS Walk. I realized that God has blessed me with the ability to walk and raise awareness for those who cannot. We never know what is going to happen in the future, but for now I have that ability that I often take for granted.
And, finally, tonight on the way home from my in-laws' house, God reminded me that life's minor unpleasant surprises are nothing to stress about as I tend to do. We were just a few miles down the road when Nathan suddenly got sick. Thankfully he gave us a few seconds' advance warning, so the mess was minimal. This was not a pleasant moment, and one that I always avoid at all costs, but after he was cleaned up I realized how minor a little spontaneous puke really is. Incredibly icky, but minor. We will all survive and life will go on.
Sometimes I daydream about how life will be when my children are on their own, or even to a lesser degree when they are all in school. Then I have more freedom to move around--even in my own home. How wonderful that will be! But, that is not my current reality.
So, I am thankful for the occasional friendly taps on the shoulder from God. It IS a beautiful life--right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment