Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Farmer's Wife

The Aberdeen American News covered farmers' wives on their front page the other day. As one of these wives, I can say there are definite pros and cons to this specific vocation. I have come up with a short list . . . I am sure more will be added. I am aware that some contradict each other.

Pros
1. My husband is his own boss, so his hours can be flexible if need be.
2. There are certain times during the year when all I have to make for supper are bologna sandwiches and Pepsi floats.
3. Once in awhile, David needs me to go to Redfield or Aberdeen for a part. I make sure to do something I want to do on the trip, too, even if it is just grabbing a coffee.
4. Farming brings something new with each season, so life is never dull.
5. David is frequently able to take one of the children with him. Grandpa can usually take another. Teresa will soon be in the rotation as she is starting to notice that she is being left out.
6. No matter what I need for a craft project, I can usually find it in one of the outside buildings.
7. Our children have a huge yard to play in and explore.
8. We have a freezer stocked with home-raised beef. Yum.
9. When in doubt, I can buy David or any one of the kids something John Deere for a present. Yes, we even own a John Deere Barbie.
10. Talking farming can be a conversation starter almost everywhere. Even the farmers' wives start their conversations with a question such as, "Is your husband done planting wheat?"


Cons
1. There is no 8-6 schedule in the spring, summer, or fall. Even Sunday afternoons are fair game for work during these seasons.
2. Although David would disagree, I maintain that January is basically the only month that we can plan anything. Then, of course, it still depends on the weather.
3. Long working hours can get frustrating and lonely sometimes when our busy time is everyone else's play time.
4. Nearly every date night includes a trip to Runnings.
5. The problem with working out of or near your home is that the work is always there. Your husband does not clock out at the end of the day and physically leave the workplace.
6. Just as in any profession, I suppose, nothing is guaranteed. Corn can look great one day and be shredded by a hail storm the next. That means no pay check.

All in all, I am glad that I went back on my oath that I would never marry a farmer. Life is good. Really.

2 comments:

  1. I would also add how much we like RAINY DAYS! Not only does it benefit the crops and livestock; it gives our husbands an excuse to spend family time without the guilt. It has also been known as Town Day; and/or Date night.
    A con would be the assigning of anniversary and birthday celebrations to the said, "Rainy Day", even if it is months apart. My Sept. birthday is usually postponed to the "last day of harvest"- late Nov. Our June anniversary will sometimes sneak in after baling season--or if missed at that time, added to the Nov. night out. A trip to Runnings is also a part of the romantic evening! Maybe we will run into each other there! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes! I completely forgot my favorite--RAINY DAYS!!

    ReplyDelete