Tuesday, May 19, 2009

On to Kindergarten



This is David and Landen walking to the bus for the very first time last Sept. 2. I had worried about sending him off to school all summer, but when the day finally arrived, it was not nearly as traumatic as I had anticipated. After they drove away and I didn't cry like I thought I would, I realized that the at-home child population had dropped to 2 for a few hours and there were a lot of things I could get done before the bus dropped Landen off at home that afternoon.
Today he completed his last day of Jr. Kindergarten. We had heard conflicting advice about enrolling him in the program, but we decided to try it. It was something new for Northwestern School and new for us as well. I am so glad we did. Jr. K was a great fit for Landen. Since we did not send him to preschool prior to this year, his experiences were all new and exciting. The three days/week schedule was just right for him and we really saw him mature socially throughout the year. He made new friends, learned the ins and outs of school life, and is now ready for full time Kindergarten next year.
Yesterday was spent at a planetarium presentation at school. He came home absolutely enthralled with the constellations and where to find them in the sky. He told me all about the W that appears in winter (Casiopia's chair), the Gemini twins, and the little dipper. He was also especially interested to learn that the stars move west across the sky at night. It is always so much fun to hear what he has been learning--especially when it is such different subject matter than he has studied before. I am sure we will be getting his telescope out after David is done planting.
Today he spent his last day at the mother of all field trips in Aberdeen. He got to do so many fun things that he didn't even mention the pet store until a couple hours after he got home! They got to make their own pizzas at Domino's, tour Kessler's and learn about Angus beef (which he was very excited about since that's what we raise), play at Wylie Park, and Storybook Land. That's just what I've heard about so far--there may be more when he wakes up tomorrow morning!
My last days of school were track and field days (at which I excelled in no events) and a sack lunch in the picnic shelter afterward. I would have gladly traded in my
5th place long jump ribbon for a chance to make my own pizza!
By the way, he made a pineapple smiley face pizza. That's my boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment