Sunday, May 24, 2009

100th Post & 90th Birthday

Wow--I feel like I should have a celebration or something. Is this as momentous as the 100th episode of a TV show? I've never had a 100th post before. I don't quite know how to conduct myself at such an occasion. It may call for a glass of wine at least. Go ahead--feel free to celebrate with me. :o)
Speaking of celebrations, we celebrated my Grandma Joachim's 90th birthday today at my aunt & uncle's house in Aberdeen. Since my grandparents lived just a few blocks from me in Eureka, I spent a lot of time there growing up. I miss my Grandpa Joachim, who passed away 8 years ago, but am so very thankful to have 3 grandparents still here with me. I know not many 30 year olds can say that. Below is my grandma with all of her great grandchildren. She has 2 children, 5 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.

She can still cook, clean, and nurture her plants--outside and inside--better than anyone I know. She and Grandpa always had huge, amazing gardens and she still has a smaller garden as well as thriving house plants by nearly every window of her house. She is also a talented organist and experienced quilter. I spent many hours as a child playing her pump organ, listening to her play, or watching her cut fabric for quilts as I traced her patterns on paper. It was she who gave me my appreciation for chokecherries, sweet kraut, and plachenta, among the other delicious German specialies she made for me on a daily basis.

I am so very thankful I was able to share in that celebration with her and that my children know her as well.

Now, for that glass of wine . . . .

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Your grandma looks amazing for 90! I hope that I can do all that she does when I'm 90 (if I make it that long...)!

    ReplyDelete