Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pancakes

It took me a few years to adopt the tradition of Saturday pancakes. David's grandparents always served their children pancakes on Saturdays and his mom carried it on when his parents were married.
One reason for my delay is before Landen started school, all of our days at home-- except for Sunday--felt very much the same. I was just as likely to make pancakes on Thursday as I was on Saturday. The other reason is I've always tended to resist the rule that you have to eat a certain food on a certain day. For example, some families always have soup on Sundays. I've always questioned--what if you come home from church and really would rather have roast beef or an omelet instead of soup? My creative right brain just cannot accept having the same food on the same day of the week for the rest of my life!
So, now on MOST Saturdays I serve up Grandma Rosemarie Melius' pancakes. The kids love to help me stir the ingredients. This morning was Teresa's first time helping me stir. Sorry--I do not have a picture of the occasion. I was too occupied making sure the pancake batter all stayed in the bowl and on the counter!
My family LOVES pancakes--Landen especially. Someday I would like to do an experiment and see how many meals in a row Landen could have pancakes and not get tired of them. I was never much of a pancake fan until I had these.
Grandma Rosemarie was a wonderful grandma and one of my dearest friends. I am glad I can now make these pancakes and her famous molasses crinkles for my family. I rejoice that she is in heaven, but still once in awhile wish she were here to share conversation over coffee. At her house, the coffee pot was always on and ready for visitors.
I hope your family enjoys these pancakes as much as Claire and Rosemarie Melius' descendants have for many years!

Favorite Pancakes
(I always double for my family)
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk OR milk
1 T oil
1 cup flour
1 T sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Blend egg, oil, and milk and then add dry ingredients. Beat until moistened and pour onto greased griddle.

1 comment:

  1. Same here! It is a tradition at out house that Sat. is pancake day. Jim and the kids make them; I clean up afterwards. I am also not a fan of pancakes but I have made some with an extra touch of "healthy" to offset the sugary syrup. Try these sometime: Oatmeal pancakes; replacing milk with blueberry yogurt; using honey and whole wheat flour; making homemade syrups; adding mini chocolate chips (kids fav). After so many years, ya gotta shake it up a bit!!

    ReplyDelete