Thursday, April 23, 2009

Swinging & Singing

When I was young, my mom logged countless hours in our backyard pushing me in the swing while we sang songs.
After I had my own children, it came naturally to do the same with them. All three like to swing--especially Nathan. He loves to swing in all weather, anytime of the day, and probably night if we would let him!
So far the boys haven't learned how to "pump" themselves, but they haven't had much motivation. They are smart enough to know that once they can push themselves, mom doesn't have to be there to honor their requests anymore either. We have our old standbys--the "ABC" song, the beginning of "Blue Suede Shoes," "Sing a Song of Sixpence," and "You are my Sunshine" are just a few of their favorites. Every once in awhile I will mix in a new one just to keep things interesting. Then that song will quickly become one of the favorites as well.
No sooner do I finish the song and push them as high as they can go, they are dragging their feet asking for another song. Teresa is also joining in. She can't talk, but she claps for the "ABC" song, so I am guessing that is one of her favorites.
Sometimes I think I have more important things to do, but I am sure my mom did, too.
I hope swinging and singing songs become of one of their favorite childhood memories as it will be one of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment