Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Catching My Breath

I don't know if it is the sun shining and somewhat warmer temps, the new behavior chart that has been working, or whatever else, but I have felt like I am catching my breath this week.
Coming home from Aberdeen on Monday night, I remembered when I last felt like this. My first year of teaching was one of the most stressful years of my life. Any teacher will tell you the first year is the hardest because every lesson plan, every test, every bulletin board is a brand new creation and there is no one else who can do it. I was just thankful I only had 30-some papers to grade instead of 100 as I would have had at other area schools. Whenever there was an "off" day, I felt like I could breathe again and hopefully get ahead to be ready for the next day.
Having the three kids at home has been much like that first year of teaching--only different lessons are taught--some successfully and other times not. With our relatively quiet days lately, I feel like I've been given a glimpse of the light at the end of the toddler tunnel. Maybe this week is just a sort of "inservice day" or "snow day" in my world, but I am enjoying the breather as long as it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment