Friday, April 24, 2009

My Life's no Sitcom

It was brought to my attention this morning that I am not positive enough when talking about my kids. It seems that being a stay at home mom is not enough--I must be an eternally happy June Cleaver-type mom, too. I really don't do well in heels, though, so I hope I don't have to start dressing like her!
I have no desire to offend. I am sorry if I vent after a particularly difficult hour of church, or a 14 hour day of meltdowns every 10 minutes. I am only human--a human with not much outside human contact on most days. Even if my kids have absolutely driven me nuts in a given day, I think it goes without saying that I LOVE THEM MORE THAN ANYTHING GOD HAS EVER GIVEN ME IN THIS LIFE. Believe me, I also thank God for them several times a day--even when they are being especially naughty. I know that active, healthy kids are indeed a BLESSING. My pregnancy with Nathan showed me that nothing is a guarantee and I am still and always will be EXTREMELY HUMBLED that God not only gave our son to us to raise, but a perfectly healthy one at that.
That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with telling it like it is, too. Yes--having a quiet hour while both little nappers are sleeping at the same time IS heavenly. But, so is taking them for a walk in the sunshine when they wake up. Reading a magazine by myself is a rare treat. But, so is having them all three sit down around me to listen to a story.
This is my life. When I started this mom thing, I had lots of support around me. But now, even though my local mom friends still live around here, their babies are my oldest's age or older. They are busy with school things and jobs, I am still busy with babies and toddlers, and the result is all of us not getting together in almost 2 years. Once upon a time, we had a craft club and got together for the occasional summer bonfire to bond. I hope someday we can continue those.
After I had Landen, went through PPD, and lost my teaching job, I went to a counselor for a couple months to sort through my thoughts. I had so much guilt for not loving EVERY minute at home with Landen. I felt instant relief when my counselor told me I didn't HAVE to love every minute of being a mom to love my son.
So, I resent when people imply that I should put that kind of pressure on myself to love it all or bottle it up.
I paid good money to learn that I don't have to be June Cleaver to be a good mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment