Monday, February 23, 2009

God Bless the Tax Preparers

I really wish when God was making me he would have put at least one mathematical cell in my body. Seriously, I hope NW school has some good math tutors by the time my kids reach the 6th grade--maybe sooner--because this mom is no good when it comes to numbers!
Mr. Hermansen always asked if we had questions in Algebra. I usually was so lost I didn't even know what to ask. I at least had a prayer in Geometry because there were shapes involved! When I was forced to take Algebra I in college, I immediately found a graphing calculator and a math tutor. Never did I work so hard for a B!
A few years back I considered taking our church's secretary job. I was obviously desperate for a change of pace because when I got home David reminded me that I didn't even balance my own checkbook. Yes--I had to agree that could be a hurdle in completing my job. I could have produced a very pretty and well-written bulletin every week, but my secretarial skills probably would have ended there. Thankfully someone much more qualified than I filled the position and I ended up coaching high school drama instead--a much better fit for my right brain!
Most farm operations have the wife in charge of the bookkeeping. My husband is smarter than that. Although, I do think he was disappointed when he found out not only could I not drive a tractor but I was also completely inept at math.
So why do I have numbers on my brain today? I had to pick up our taxes at H&R Block this morning and immediately wanted to leave when the lady started asking about
1099s, 1096s, etc. I don't know a 1099 from a WD40! Perhaps if they color-coded them or gave them pretty names I could remember which went where, but I really have no clue!
So, thank you all you tax preparers, business managers, secretary/treasurers, and math tutors. Without you I would be lost . . . or maybe even incarcerated for tax fraud!

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    A 1096 and 1099 are red--just to help you out! Loved your post about tax preparers--for obvious reasons!!

    Michele N.

    ReplyDelete